2-12-09 Thursday (Define View)

We arrived in Oakhurst, CA today. It's about 20 miles away from Yosemite. The temperatures here were to be below freezing, and accompanied by snow. Due to some existing snow in some of the surrounding areas, local roads required tire chains. The RV park gave us some alternate directions. The trip here was fine; there were no signs of snow until the last couple of miles to the RV park. The old snow here and there was sparse at best. We knew the weather would call for snow today but only for a day. It was our only chance to see Yosemite.

The last 20 miles here were through farm lands. It was a desolate road and had us nervous that we were going the wrong way. At the end of this stretch, we turned onto a more commercial looking road and felt better about the next and last 7 miles through mountainous terrains. The sights were pretty. We turned into the RV park entrance which was thickly lined with trees. I thought how wonderful. A few more feet into the park and I could see a small river. I squealed with delight (which is different than squealing like a pig). Several more feet into the park and across the other side of the river was some sort of commercial store receiving area. Oh well, it's a little tainted but still nice. We turned at the next loop and of course with all the RV's the trees started to dwindle and the view wasn't as spectacular anymore. Oh well.

OK, back to the arrival story. We set up camp, ate dinner and surfed the net. I received an email from my Dad that my Mom hasn't been feeling well. Aside from Fibromyalgia, she has a bunch of other medical issues going on. She's been very stressed and lately has been forgetful about simple things. The family believes she's over-medicated. Meanwhile my Uncle is out of the hospital, at home, and friends and family are taking care of him. Hospice will be involved, he doesn't have much time left. I have to go and help out. I need to see what I can do about Mom's health.

After some tears, Jim and I discuss whether we should drive from California to Florida or if I should fly back. We decide I'll fly back for 3 weeks. I want him to stay in San Diego, see his brother (who will be visiting from Georgia) and hang out with some of the new friends we've made via blogging. It will be faster/easier for me to fly back.

I didn't publish this entry until I arrived in Florida so as not to spoil the surprise for my Mom. It was unlikely she'd read the blog because last I knew she was behind and had been sick lately.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your mom... keep us posted, ok?


Hi, please leave a comment. All comments unless explicit will be posted!

No Google account? Don't worry - you don't need one to comment. Select "Name/URL" and simply enter your name in the NAME field. Leave URL blank. Post your comment and viola, that's it!