Today we have a 9am-3pm excursion on the other side of the Big Island. Yesterday was Hilo, today is Kailua Kona.
Our excursion? Kohala Waterfalls Adventure - Immerse yourself in stunning private waterfalls, tranquil streams, scenic coastlines and rugged valleys on this North Kohala adventure. Kick off the fun with an off-road drive to an exclusive trailhead.
- Ramble off-road in a 6-wheel-drive Pinzgauer (an Austrian military vehicle)
- Take a relaxed, guided walk through a private nature reserve
- Cool off with a swim under one of seven cascading waterfalls
- Walk through a restored ancient Hawaiian agricultural site
- Enjoy a private picnic lunch with views of soaring seacliffs and remote valleys, at one of the island’s best scenic lookouts
This tour was on private lands as well. Our tour guide, Uncle Danny… wait… wasn’t Uncle Danny yesterday’s tour guide? Well coincidence, we got him again. This side of the island is actually where he lives and generally guides. So we took a small bus from Kailua Kona to Hawi (see map below).
Pros: We got to see the terrain change. Near Kailua Kona, there isn’t much for landscape. The land is still healing from an eruption years ago. As we drove to Hawi, the landscape/terrain changed. We were back to tropical.
At one of the waterfalls, everyone was invited in for a swim. Only a few partook. Jim was one of them. Jim said, “It was cold! Not romantic at all.”
We ended up here for lunch. This overlook with several picnic tables. Uncle Danny had drinks, chips and sandwiches. What a friggin’ view.
A couple of short videos:
How do we end a day like this? Back on the ship with a cocktail and stunning view of course: